Special Care For Children
We give children the extra care they need in an unfamiliar setting. If your child is having surgery this story may help: Read Story
Food and Drink Restrictions Children:
- Your child should not eat solid food after midnight.
- Clear liquids are allowed up to four (4) hours prior to surgery to include water, apple juice or Gatorade.
- Up to 4 oz. of milk or formula up to six (6) hours prior to surgery.
- Breastfeeding is allowed up to four (4) hours prior to surgery.
We require at least one parent to remain in the center during the surgery and recovery. Please do not bring other young children along.
Please bring your child’s favorite blanket, stuffed animal or toy for added security.
You will be able to be with your child as soon as he/she is awake and medically safe for transfer after recovery.
Special Care For Special Needs Adults
We understand that loved ones who depend upon others for daily living require special attention. The following tips will help make care for these adults easier:
The legal guardian needs to sign the consent for surgery and anesthesia on or before the day of surgery.
Food and Drink Restrictions:
- Patient should not eat after midnight.
- Up to 4 oz. of clear liquids six (6) hours prior to surgery. Clear liquids include water, apple juice or Gatorade.
Please bring the patient’s recent health history and medication information. Be certain to follow the food and drink rules in the Before My Surgery section.
As with other patients, special needs patients require a parent, legal guardian or another responsible adult to remain at the center from admission through recovery. A personal attendant will be required to stay with the patient for 24 hours after discharge.